What is Rides & Smiles?
• Rides & Smiles is a volunteer-based senior transportation program, for adults 60+, in the North County Inland area of San Diego
• Rides & Smiles serves the following zip codes in San Diego:
92127, 92128, 92129, 92131, and 92064.
• All riders must be ambulatory, volunteers are not health aids
• Rides are provided by trained and screened volunteers
• Volunteers provide their own vehicle and gas
• Jewish Family Service provides dispatching, mileage reimbursement, & secondary insurance
Scheduling a ride:
• Enrollment fee is $20.00
• Once approved, rides can be requested one calendar month ahead and a minimum of one week prior to trip date
(Example: On January 1, rides can be scheduled through February)
• Any type of ride may be requested, except rides to the airport
• Ride availability is not guaranteed
Paying for a ride:
• Rides are donation-based
• Coordinator mails out a monthly letter to riders, with suggested donation for the month, based on the number and distance of rides received
• Volunteers can not accept tips
• Volunteers may accept a heart-felt thank you!
Be a Rides & Smiles Volunteer:
To date, Rides & Smiles has 300 riders enrolled in the senior transportation program. Over 85 volunteer drivers have provided over 6,000 rides. There are currently over 100 seniors on the waiting list in need of transportation. Please help open the car doors to these potential riders by becoming a Rides & Smiles volunteer driver. As a volunteer, you decide your availability and choose the rides you wish to provide. There is no minimum number of rides required to be a volunteer. JFS provides mileage reimbursement and secondary auto insurance.
For more information, call (858) 391-0033